All 10 art Reviews

Jessy The Giraffe Jessy The Giraffe

I love this! The way you rendered this piece is really impressive, and I love how playful it is. Keep on keepin' on!

Cope2K responds:

Thank you, I appreciate the comment :)

Freya Freya

This is solid! I love the subdued colors and the lush rendition of the character.

Not Actually Timid Not Actually Timid

Looking good, good-lookin'!

I like this piece. My only qualm, and maybe people are alluding to this when they say it "needs more" without telling you what "more" might be, is that there is very little value variety in the hair which makes it flat. Certainly, it's convincing in that it has varying hues, but the highlights could be brighter and the shadows could be darker/cooler... they'll intensify each other really nicely.

Otherwise, I actually think you have very good command of digital media portraiture. The details seem to be done with great care. Awesome work!

Inu Heart Inu Heart

Very pretty!

The review before mine is totally correct. I think you have the makings of a very successful pop-surrealist, kind of in a James Jean-ish way. Very cool.

Skylarking Skylarking

Gorgeous!

It has a wonderful balance of deliberate composition and chaotic movement.

I especially love the wings over the face. Awesome work!

sucho responds:

Trungles sounds like the greatest snack food ever

The Doctor Will See You Now The Doctor Will See You Now

NICE!

This is done so well! I love it! I reminds me of the visual impact of the Animaniacs... and the dynamic movement is really compelling.

Nice work!

Kat Dagger the sexy beast!!! Kat Dagger the sexy beast!!!

Whoa!

As in.... epic. This one, I like.

The treatment of the foreground-to-background relationship is done really well. The careful detail of the pools of blood and the smoke from her cigarette are awesome.

TheShadling responds:

The pool of blood looks like cool-aid!

Castle crashing the princess Castle crashing the princess

Festive!... except for the whole rape thing.

Colors are fun and vibrant. The execution of the glowing auras behind the male figures are pretty cool.

The subject matter...

The whole rape thing just doesn't sit well with me.

Expression Practice Expression Practice

I'm impressed!

This is very well done! I ordinarily look at anime art done by Westerners and just cringe my socks off at the lack of authenticity.... but, although I can tell this isn't done by someone from the source culture of anime, it is done in a very genuine, skilled way. Well done!

What people don't realize is that animators have to study "traditional art" before they can play with proportions and make "anime" images.

This series of expressions (and they are very expressive, I'd say) indicates that the artist knows how to draw well before he or she went out and started drawing "anime." It has many elements that people who claim to draw in "anime style" really lack, and that makes it superbly successful:

1. There is attention to FORM! They look like attention has been paid to illustrate the characters as something not meant to be considered "flat."

2. They are expressive! We get enough images of anime characters with one cocked eyebrow or that little vein-thingy to indicate emotion (which are shorthand... and a little lazy). This is very refreshing.

3. They have personality! I want to know more about these dudes. They all look interesting.

Anyway, excellent job! I applaud your work and hope you continue to share it.

Willpinoy responds:

Wow! thanks a lot man :) You went very deep with the critique, and i like that :D thanks for taking some of your time to comment and review my work, it's truly appreciated.

Chillin' Chillin'

Sweet!

You have a wonderful feeling for texture! I think the fur is very believable, and I especially love the way the fur stands out over the texture of the rocks, especially over the left side of the drawing.

My only criticisms are about the cross-hatching over ground on the far right and the form of the animal. I feel like the cross-hatching wasn't necessary because the drawing looks good without it. There's also something about the animal's form that indicates that a photo reference was used (which isn't even necessarily a bad thing).

Overall great drawing! I hope to see more!

Drkchaos responds:

Thanks so much! But yeah, you're totally right. The cross hatching was actually done roughly to outline the rocks, but I never really bothered to erase it at the end :/ dunno why. Really should have, eh? XD

You've got a really good eye though. A reference was indeed used, mostly for just the form though (I'm still not that good at capturing animal posture). Still practicing on anatomy though, as I think it still looks kinda funny...